Food drives are a great way to help the Food Bank! Follow a few easy steps to host a food drive.
Follow These Easy Steps to Host a Food Drive:
- Get approval from your organization to host a food drive.
- Set up an organizing committee for your food drive.
- Register your food drive on our website. Register Here
- Set a goal to keep your team motivated. (See our 200 Pound Pledge below)
- Sign up for the Virtual Food Drive to raise funds during your food drive.
- Track progress towards your goal.
- Promote your drive by sending your friends and co-workers regular updates by email!
Food Drive Barrel Drop Off and Pick Up
If you plan to pick up and drop off food drive barrels yourself, the Food Bank is located at 9850 Distribution Ave., San Diego, CA 92121. Barrels can be picked up and dropped off Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Most Needed Food Items
The following list includes our most needed food items.
Our Most Need Food Drive Items:
- Canned Meats (Tuna, Chicken)
- Dry or Canned Beans
- Nuts and Seeds
- Peanut Butter
- Canned Soup
- Canned or Dried Fruit
- Canned Vegetables
- Powdered Milk
- Infant Formula
- Tuna in water
- Black, Pinto, Kidney, Low Sodium
- Low Sugar, Whole Grain or Bran
- Brown, Wild Rice
- Almonds, Unsalted, Flax seeds
- No Sugar Added
- Low Sodium, Low Fat
- Packed in water or own juice
- Low Sodium or No Salt Added
- Low or Non-Fat
- Whole Grain
The 200 Pound Pledge
Food drives are a great way to help the Food Bank. With the Food Bank’s limited time and funds, we need to maximize our resources as much as we can. It would really help the Food Bank if you can commit to collecting at least 200 pounds of food through your food drive (that’s about 1 food drive barrel).
If your office/group is small, you can still help by:
- Collecting food in your own containers and delivering it to the Food Bank
- Donating food at one of our food drive drop-off locations
Your Donation Goes Further with the Virtual Food Drive
We encourage you to add a Virtual Food Drive component to your food drive. By holding your food drive online, you will be saving the Food Bank time and resources that are incurred through physical food drives.
Plus, your donations will help us purchase the most needed food items, like canned tuna, peanut butter, canned fruits and vegetables and cereals.
Click here for more information about our Virtual Food Drive