Did you know the USDA recommends that each person consume 7-13 servings of fruits and vegetables each day? Trying to reach your daily fruit and vegetable requirement can seem like hard work and without a game plan, it can be! That’s where farmers markets can come in handy! It just so happens that this week is recognized as National Farmers Market week!
Visiting farmers markets can be a fun experience for the whole family. As a team, you can shop at different vendors’ booths to find delicious and fresh local produce for your fridge. San Diego farmers markets come in all shapes and sizes and can be found in both urban and rural areas. Currently, there are more than 50 farmers markets each and every week throughout San Diego County that contain local produce from your San Diego friends and neighbors. Try to reach the daily fruit and vegetable recommendation a few days this week by utilizing a few of the tips below on how to include more produce into your daily food menus.
1. If you buy more… you eat more. It is that simple. If you replace the bags of chips and crackers in your pantry with a fridge full of produce, it can make snack time choices much healthier.
2. Prep early, eat more often. If you prepare fruits and vegetables by cutting, peeling and placing them in easy to grab containers right after your trip to the grocery store, then they are an easy on-the-go snack option.
3. Change it up. Take a look at a few of your favorite recipes this week. Are there any ways to sneak in a few more servings of fruits or vegetables in the dish?
4. Drink your vegetables. Not a big fan of salads? Then try making your own smoothies! You can incorporate many of the greens you see lining the walls of the produce aisle and not even taste them when they are paired with a few fruits in the blender. The smoothie may not be the prettiest color, but it will taste great!
5. Snack savvy. When that mid-morning and early afternoon stomach rumbling hits, be prepared! Start a healthy snack drawer at your home or office. You can include small bags of trail mix or nuts or even different kinds of fruit.
Farmers markets stock a wide variety of seasonal fruits and vegetables and are known for the quality of the produce and for freshness and taste. It’s easy to find a farmers market near you. Visit this site to find your local neighborhood market!