With summer in full swing, it is not always fun to cook (or even eat) a hot meal. What sounds better than eating a chilled soup on a hot summer day?
Gazpacho is a cold-blended vegetable soup that originated in Andalusia – the southern part of Spain. No cooking is required to make Gazpacho, and the ingredients are all in season now. It is high in dietary fiber, potassium, along with vitamins A and C.
Here is a California style recipe you can try!
Gazpacho Soup – California Style
Makes 4 cups.
Prep time: 20 min plus 2 hours for chilling in the refrigerator.
- 6 medium tomatoes or 1 28-oz can of peeled tomatoes
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 Persian cucumber
- ½ medium onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili paste
- Lemon juice from 2 lemons
- Salt and pepper to taste
Toppings for each serving:
- ¼ avocado
- Chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp low fat Greek yogurt
1. Combine all the ingredients together in a food processor, pulse it until well chopped, but not completely smooth.
2. Refrigerate for two hours to let all the flavors fuse.
3. Serve chilled with sliced avocado, chopped parsley, and Greek yogurt on top.
For other chilled soup ideas, CLICK HERE.