The San Diego Food Bank in partnership with the San Diego Hunger Coalition is asking the community to support this year’s San Diego Hunger Awareness Month campaign taking place throughout the month of September. San Diego Hunger Awareness Month is a local, grassroots campaign that raises awareness about individuals and families in San Diego County who face food insecurity, including: working-poor families, low-income military families, fixed-income seniors, the homeless, and children living in poverty.
You can support San Diego Hunger Awareness Month in a number of ways:
1. Visit any Mission Fed branch in San Diego County to donate $5 to support our Food 4 Kids Backpack Program. You will receive a green apple lapel pin for your donation to help spread awareness of child hunger. Share photos of you and your friends or family wearing the lapel pins on social media using the hashtag #HungerFreeSD. Please remember to tag the Food Bank on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for a chance to be featured on the Food Bank’s social media accounts.
CLICK HERE TO WATCH ON YOUTUBE
2. Wear green. On Friday, Sept. 7, we are asking you to show your support for hunger-relief efforts by wearing green. Share your photos on social media and remember to use the hashtag, #HungerFreeSD and tag the Food Bank in your posts.
3. Give hunger the blues by attending our 8th annual AimLoan.com San Diego Blues Festival on Saturday, Sept. 8 featuring the one and only, Billy Gibbons. CLICK HERE to buy tickets.
4. Host a food drive. Sign up to collect physical food donations in the month of September or ask friends and family to make a donation to your custom Virtual Food Drive. CLICK HERE to learn more and to register.
5. Volunteer. Browse the Food Bank’s volunteer calendar and register for an upcoming shift. CLICK HERE.
6. Donate online. For every $5, 25 meals can be provided to local families. CLICK HERE to donate.
Need more ideas? DOWNLOAD our official San Diego Hunger Awareness Month action calendar to see suggestions on what you can do every day to support the Food Bank and its hunger-relief efforts.
Thank you for supporting the Food Bank’s mission to create a hunger-free community.