September 1 - September 30
September is San Diego Hunger Awareness Month.
San Diego Hunger Awareness Month is a local, grassroots campaign that raises awareness about individuals and families in San Diego County who face food insecurity, including working-poor families, low-income military families, fixed-income seniors, the unhoused, and children living in poverty. In partnership with the San Diego Hunger Coalition, our goal is to inspire members of the community to do what they can to take action and show support for organizations in their local community that are addressing the issue of hunger and advocating for a hunger-free community starting right here in San Diego County.
You can show your support for San Diego Hunger Awareness Month in a number of ways this month.
1. Share our digital supporter pin on social. Download our digital supporter graphic to your phone or computer to share on social media. Remember to tag us @SDFoodBank and use the hashtag #HungerFreeSD.
2. Learn more about whom we serve. San Diego State University released a 28-page economic impact and recipient data report that quantifies the economic impact the Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank (SDFB) has on the San Diego region. The goals of the study were to quantify the economic impact SDFB has on San Diego through our programs and services and to better understand the characteristics of Food Bank recipients and their usage of our services.
3. Sign Up to Volunteer. Volunteers are at the heart of our daily operations sorting and inspecting fresh produce, packing boxes for a number of hunger-relief programs, and even distributing the food to local families in need countywide. Browse the Food Bank’s volunteer calendar and register for an upcoming shift that fits your schedule.
4. Host a food drive. Sign up to collect nonperishable food donations in the month of September or ask friends and family to make a donation to your custom Virtual Food Drive. CLICK HERE to learn more and to register.
5. Donate online. The Food Bank uses donor dollars to purchase food and provide support to critical hunger relief programs that serve 400,000 people per month collectively. For every $5 donation, 10 meals can be provided to local families. Your donation during the month of September will be generously matched by The Belenzon Family.
Thank you for supporting San Diego Hunger Awareness Month, an awareness-raising campaign in partnership with the San Diego Hunger Coalition, and for being an advocate for the Food Bank’s mission out in the community.