September is Hunger Awareness Month. In partnership with the San Diego Hunger Coalition and dozens of San Diego County hunger-relief nonprofits, we are raising awareness about hunger in San Diego County and how it adversely affects local families in our community, including our own neighbors.
Five Facts About Hunger
1. 490,000 San Diegans face “food insecurity” every day.
2. 1 in 5, who are considered food insecure in San Diego County, are children.
3. Hunger affects people from all walks of life including: working poor families, seniors living on a fixed income, active-duty military members and their families, college students struggling to make ends meet and children living in poverty.
4. The San Diego Food Bank feeds 370,000 people every month.
5. Last year, the Food Bank distributed more than 26 million pounds of food to individuals and families in need.
Watch this short video featuring Jim Floros, CEO of the Food Bank and Anahid Brakke, Executive Director of the San Diego Hunger Coalition to learn how YOU can show your support during Hunger Awareness Month throughout the month of September! Remember to share it on social media and tag us!
Be Part of the Conversation and Help Raise Awareness Online
Each week will highlight a different issue or group affected by hunger, including:
September 1 – September 10 » Hunger and Health
September 11 – September 16 » Child Hunger
September 17 – September 24 » Senior Hunger
September 25 – September 30 » College Hunger
Get Social Using the Hashtags – #HungerFreeSD and #Food4Kids
If you want to show your support on social media, please download our San Diego Hunger Awareness Month Social Media Kit. The kit includes the following items:
- Social Media Posts
- Social Media Graphics for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE SOCIAL MEDIA KIT
Be sure to follow the Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank San Diego Hunger Coalition on social media, too, and use the hashtags #HungerFreeSD and #Food4Kids!
San Diego Food Bank – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
San Diego Hunger Coalition – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
Other Ways To Get Involved
1. Visit your local Mission Fed branch and donate $5 to the Food 4 Kids Backpack Program.
2. Attend our 2017 AimLoan.com San Diego Blues Festival on Saturday, Sept. 9. Proceeds benefit the San Diego Food Bank and North County Food Bank. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.
3. Host a Virtual Food Drive to support the Food Bank’s Food 4 Kids Backpack Program.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.
4. Volunteer in the Food Bank’s warehouse or at a distribution site. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.
Show your support, and help raise awareness of hunger in San Diego County!