San Diego Food Bank Biennial Hunger Conference: Fighting Hunger Through Connected Communities
On Tuesday, September 17, 2019, the Food Bank will host its seventh biennial hunger conference for our nonprofit and community partners. Details about the event, including the location, available workshop sessions, and registration information can be found below.
Conference Purpose: To increase awareness of food insecurity and to share ideas, skills, approaches, and best practices for staff and volunteers in order to enhance and enrich the hunger relief community to better serve the San Diego community.
When: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Where: Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank,
9850 Distribution Ave.,
San Diego, CA 92121
Transportation Instructions: Parking is limited at the San Diego Food Bank. Please plan to carpool if you are attending with others from your organization. Parking is available in front of the Food Bank building, on the east side parking lot (in front of the Distribution Avenue cul-de-sac), and along Carroll Road.
Cost: This event is free for all attendees. However, in order to obtain an accurate headcount for meals served, we are asking that all registrants notify by August 30 if you are unable to attend. Anyone registered that does not attend and notifies the Food Bank after August 30 will be charged a $10 fee. Please note: Due to space limitations, this conference is available at no charge for up to 2 (two) people per nonprofit partner.
Registration: To RSVP for our conference, please click the button below.
|7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.||Registration & Breakfast|
|8:30 a.m. – 9:10 a.m.||Welcome & Opening Address|
|9:20 a.m. – 10:20 a.m.||Breakout Session 1|
|10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.||Breakout Session 2|
|11:30 a.m. – 11:50 a.m.||Lunch|
|11:50 a.m. – 12:20 p.m.||Keynote Address|
|12:20 p.m. – 12:40 p.m.||Nonprofit Partner Awards|
|12:50 p.m. – 1:50 p.m.||Breakout Session 3|
|2:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.||Closing Remarks|
Registration for each workshop will occur from 7:30 am – 8:30 am during conference check-in. The conference consists of 15 general session workshops, and we will host two keynote speakers during the morning breakfast and lunch plenary sessions.
- Best Practices – Policy & Procedure
- Client Experience – Environmental Shifts
- Community Connections
- Inventory & Waste Reduction
- Nutrition Education, Cultural and Dietary Considerations
Breakout Session 1 Workshops – 9:20 a.m. to 10:20 a.m.:
- Collaborative Efforts: How to Work Together Fighting Hunger Instead of Being in Competition
- Destigmatizing Hunger through Campus & Community Partnerships Panel Discussion
- From Acorn to Oak: Growing Your Outreach Program through Community and Service Integration
- Nutrition Pantry Program: Transitioning to Client-Choice
- The Food Donation Action Plan and Implications of AB2178
Breakout Session 2 Workshops – 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.:
- Engaging Priority Populations with Trauma Informed Approaches
- GIS as a Tool to Address Food Insecurity and Implement State Laws like SB1383
- Infant Nutrition and Diaper Dilemmas: Meeting Babies’ Most Basic Needs
- Public Policy Spotlight: Fulfilling the CalFresh Expansion for SSI Recipients
- Successful Fundraising – The Donor Journey
Breakout Session 3 Workshops – 12:50 p.m. to 1:50 p.m.:
- Culturally Responsive Approaches to Food Pantry Operation
- Lessons Learned and Best Practices for Prepared Food Recovery
- Microwave Cooking for College and Junior High Students
- Utilizing Data Driven Solutions to Assess and Address Individual and Community Needs
- WE NEED YOU for a Hunger Free San Diego!
Thank you for taking the opportunity to learn more about the Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank’s 2019 Hunger Conference. If you have additional questions, contact Shelly Parks at firstname.lastname@example.org.