Finding and putting together quick and easy meals for kids that are both healthy and delicious can be tough! That’s why our Registered Dietitian Callie Brust along with Monique Knight from United Healthcare were on KUSI News Monday morning sharing their favorite kid-friendly recipes that are perfect for the family on-the-go. Each recipe is complete with nutritious ingredients from potassium-filled bananas to protein-rich eggs and heart-healthy veggies!
Check out the recipes below and try them out in your own home!
Breakfast Veggie Egg Cups
Prep and Cook Time: 20 minutes | Servings: 6 servings per 6-cup muffin tin
– 6 large eggs
– 1/2 cup of fresh and/or frozen broccoli
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 6-cup muffin tin
– Medium to small mixing bowl
1. Set the oven to 350°F first to give the oven a little time to heat up while you prepare the ingredients.
2. Using the bowl, crack open the eggs until all of the yolks are out of their shells then blend the yolks together until creamy and smooth.
3. Add a pinch of salt and pepper for a little extra flavoring to the yolk mixture.
4. Place the broccoli or vegetables of your choice (spinach, diced mushrooms, diced bell pepper, etc.) at the bottom of each muffin cup.
5. Pour the egg mixture into each muffin cup and fill until each one is about 3/4 of the way full.
6. Once all muffin cups are filled, carefully place the muffin tin into the oven using an oven mitt and cook for about 15 minutes.
7. Once the timer goes off, carefully remove the pan from the oven and set on stove to cool.
8. Once they are cooled enough to remove from the pan, serve and enjoy!
Get a little creative! Mix in some shredded cheese and some freshly diced mushrooms before putting the muffin tin in the oven for a more savory flavor. Don’t forget a little hot sauce to top it off after they are out of the oven!
Did you know? You can pre-make these egg cups ahead of the busy week! Just let them cool completely before putting them in an air-tight container and store them in the refrigerator. Pop one or two in the microwave for about 30 to 45 seconds and they will be warm and ready to enjoy again!
Lip-Smacking Good Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie
Prep time: 10 minutes | Serves: 2 servings
– 1 frozen banana
– 2 tbsp of peanut butter
– 1 cup of 2% milk
– Handful of ice cubes
1. Blend all ingredients together until icy and smooth.
2. Pour into serving glasses and enjoy!
Add some extra protein! Add a scoop of whey protein powder (vanilla or chocolate) and blend in with the banana, peanut butter and ice until smooth.
Personalized Mini Muffin Pizzas
Prep time: 20 minutes | Serves: 1 serving
– 1 Whole Wheat English muffin
– Low-sodium tomato sauce
– 1 green bell pepper
– 1/2 cup of Mozzarella cheese, shredded
– Cutting board
– Toaster Oven
1. Slice one whole wheat English muffin in half.
2. Scoop out the desired amount of tomato sauce and spread enough to cover both halves of the muffin.
3. Slice and dice the green bell pepper and sprinkle it on top of the sauce.
4. Cover the bell pepper and sauce with the desired amount of Mozzarella cheese.
5. Once they resemble mini pizzas, place them in the toaster oven at 350°F and cook for about 10 minutes.
6. Best served warm to enjoy!
Make the mini pizzas even more nutritious! Add fresh veggies like sliced mushrooms or diced cherry or grape tomatoes to increase your vegetable intake.
Check Out This Week’s Segment!
Special thank you to United Healthcare for supporting our Nutrition Month community awareness campaign!