Sandwiches are amazingly versatile and can be easy to put together, less messy, healthy and satisfyingly scrumptious. They can also be made to accommodate most eating choices including vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free and nut-free.
Peanut butter jelly sandwiches, bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches are popular sandwiches in America. Sandwiches can be eaten for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. Most of the ingredients to make a tasty and nutrient-packed sandwich are usually available in our kitchens. So go ahead, get creative and invent your new favorite sandwich!
Here are some basic ingredients to get started!
1. Start with 2 slices of bread. Whole wheat, rye, multi-grain and gluten-free bread options are easily available in grocery stores.
2. Choose veggies or fruits like lettuce, spinach, arugula, tomatoes, avocados, onions, bell peppers, cucumbers, sautéed mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini and artichokes, sprouts, strawberries, kiwi, bananas, apples, pears, raisins and grapes.
3. Pick protein sources from a variety of lean meats, seafood, beans, tofu, low-fat cheese and cream cheese, and nut butters.
4. Add flavor to the sandwich using a dash of pepper, honey, low-fat mayo, salsa, guacamole or your favorite dip or salad dressing.
5. You can choose to grill or bake the assembled sandwich, especially the savory ones to add extra zing to the sandwiches.
Need some inspiration? Here are some resources for delicious sandwich recipes!