Nutrition Month got off to a lip-smacking start this morning on KUSI! The San Diego Food Bank’s Registered Dietitian, Callie Brust, and CEO Jim Floros were joined by Monique Knight from our Nutrition Month partner, United Healthcare.
The trio talked about National Nutrition Month, the importance of health and nutrition, and Callie gave viewers tips on replacing staple food items with healthy alternatives. Callie finished the segment with a fabulous pasta recipe using healthy staple food items!
Try Callie’s healthy pasta recipe!
Pasta a la Pantry
- Whole wheat pasta of any type (14.5 oz. box)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 cans low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 can low-sodium garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- Lemon juice and pepper to taste
1. In a large skillet, heat oil and sauté garlic for 2 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes and Italian seasoning and cook on medium heat for 3 minutes.
3. Add frozen spinach and stir until heated.
4. Add garbanzo beans and simmer for a further 3 minutes.
5. Once ingredients are combined, stir in pasta.
6. Add lemon juice and pepper to taste.
7. Plate and serve warm. Enjoy!
Check Out Today’s Segment to Learn More!
Special thanks to United Healthcare for supporting our Nutrition Month community awareness campaign!