The Metropolitan Transit System (MTS), the North County Transit District (NCTD), Albertsons/Vons, Girl Scouts San Diego, and the San Diego Food Bank are encouraging San Diego residents to “Stuff the Bus” and donate food to those who face hunger in our community during the second week of December.
Nearly half a million people face food insecurity in San Diego County. Of this number, 177,000 are children. Food insecurity means that little or no food is available at home, and often they will not know how they will get their next meal.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Between Dec. 9 and Dec. 14, visit any local Albertsons and Vons to donate a $5 Hunger Bag or donate nonperishable food items in the Food Bank’s famous red food drive barrels.
The Food Bank’s most-needed food items include:
peanut butter, canned fish, canned meats, canned fruits, canned vegetables, dried goods (rice, beans, oatmeal),
and canned soups
Saturday, Dec. 14 – Help “Stuff the Bus” with Local Girl Scouts
On Saturday, Dec. 14 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., hundreds of local Girl Scouts will be outside Albertsons and Vons supermarkets throughout the county encouraging shoppers to donate and help provide much-needed food items for local families in need this holiday season.
MTS and NCTD will have buses stationed at the following 15 Albertsons and Vons locations throughout the county:
- Carlsbad Vons – 6951 El Camino Real
- Chula Vista Albertsons – 720 Third Avenue
- El Cajon Vons – 1201 Avocado
- Escondido Albertsons – 1509 East Valley Parkway
- Lemon Grove Albertsons – 7090 Broadway
- Mira Mesa Vons – 8310 Mira Mesa Boulevard
- Oceanside Albertsons – 3450 Marron Road and 3925 Mission Avenue
- Rancho Bernardo Vons – 11986 Bernardo Plaza Drive
- San Carlos Albertsons – 8650 Lake Murray Boulevard
- San Marcos Albertsons – 1571 San Elijo Road South
- Serra Mesa Vons – 3550 Murphy Canyon Road
- Santee Vons – 9643 Mission Gorge Road
- Spring Valley Albertsons – 543 Sweetwater Road
- University City Vons – 7788 Regents Road
The goal is to fill up the buses with food drive donations, which will then be delivered to the San Diego Food Bank and unloaded by a team of military volunteers.
Thank you, San Diego, for helping us fight hunger and feed hope this holiday season!